This traditional Italian soup is given an autumnal twist with hearty squash, potatoes and kale. This meal is great for making in advance and having on hand for quick dinners on cooler nights.
Serves: 4 - 6
Prep Time: 25
Cook Time: 40
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh thyme
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh rosemary
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 2 yellow potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1 large carrot, peeled and diced
- 2 cups diced butternut squash
- 1/2 tsp Newman’s Own Sea Salt Flakes
- 1/4 tsp Newman’s Own Coarse Ground Black Pepper
- 8 cups chicken broth
- 1 jar (24 oz) Newman’s Own Tomato & Basil Sauce
- 2 cups orecchiette pasta
- 4 cups packed chopped trimmed kale
Into large pot or Dutch oven set over medium-high heat, add oil. Add onion, garlic, thyme and rosemary; cook, stirring occasionally, for 2 to 3 minutes or until softened. Add celery, potatoes, carrot, squash, salt and pepper; cook, stirring occasionally, for 3 to 5 minutes or until vegetables have softened slightly.
Stir in broth and bring to a boil; reduce heat to medium-low. Stir in Newman’s Own Tomato & Basil Sauce and pasta. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 20 to 25 minutes or until vegetables and pasta are tender.
Stir in kale and cook, stirring occasionally, for 3 to 5 minutes or until wilted.
Divide evenly among bowls for serving.
Tip: Make ahead! Soup can be frozen in an airtight container for 3 months or refrigerated for up to 1 week.
Garnish with 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese before serving if desired.