Tender roasted eggplant is perfectly paired with soft fresh mozzarella and savory Newman’s Own Sockarooni Sauce. A quick and delicious option for lunch or dinner that can easily be upgraded with all your favorite sandwich toppings!
Prep Time: 25
Cook Time: 30
- 1 large eggplant, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch slices (about 16 rounds)
- 3 tbsp olive oil, divided
- 1/2 tsp Newman’s Own Sea Salt Flakes
- 1/4 tsp Newman’s Own Coarse Ground Black Pepper
- 1 1/2 cups Newman’s Own Sockarooni Sauce, warmed
- 4 ciabatta buns, split
- 8 oz fresh mozzarella cheese, sliced
Preheat oven to 425°F.
In medium bowl, brush eggplant with 2 tbsp oil and season with salt and pepper. Arrange in even layer on baking sheet.
Roast for 10 minutes or until golden and softened. Flip and roast for 10 minutes or until evenly browned and tender.
Meanwhile, preheat panini press to medium or to manufacturer’s directions. Spread half the Newman’s Own Sockarooni Sauce on bottoms of ciabatta buns. Top evenly with eggplant, cheese and remaining sauce. Cap with tops of buns.
Brush tops evenly with remaining 1 tbsp oil. Transfer to panini press and press for 3 to 5 minutes or until bread is golden and toasted.
Tip: For meat lovers, add prosciutto or spicy salami slices to paninis if desired.